Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I only came in for a cup of coffee ...

Hoo boy. So my new job has exposed me to the field of NLP, or neuro-linguistic programming, and so I bought a book on it that looked interesting. I've really only started on it, so I havent really gotten to grips with it yet, but it's been an interesting ride so far - a curious mix of stuff I knew, and didn't know, and in some cases, don't believe. Still, I'll stick with it and give it a fair shake.

So in the context of NLP, one of my colleagues mentioned this movie, and as luck would have it, I had previously bought the DVD, on someone else's recommendation (possibly Netflix), but had not yet gotten around to watching it. So, I've watched about the first half, and my observations so far are

1) Marlee Matlin is a turbo hottie, but she'll never hear me say that.
2) Quantum physics is veeery strange, or if you prefer, the universe is a veeery strange place
3) NLP says "the way we think affects reality", quantum physics says "the way we think affects reality"

NLP practitioners like to say "the map is not the territory" (rather the same way René Magritte said ce-ci n'est-pas une pipe), and Wikipedia cross-references from there to discordianism which then leads inexorably to the Principia Discordia and then rapidly descends towards incoherency as it encompasses 'pataphysics, the Church of the SubGenius, a child named Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116, general semantics and the structural differential.

As I say, I only came in for a cup of coffee.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Having only watched clips of the movie, it is still clear to me that they are oversimplifying quantum mechanics in an attempt to justify the spiritual outlook they want to promote.

Quantum mechanics does not say "the way we think affects reality". It does show that the act of observation affects the outcome, but that is because the act of observation in particle physics is based largely on the firing of particles at other particles. Even the smallest, slowest particle will have some effect on the particle that is being observed. This is not the same as simply changing an outcome because you are thinking about or looking at something.