Saturday, September 11, 2004

Whenever I visit websites featuring images of prurient interest that are contributed by members of the public (eg 1, 2), I consider that it is inevitable that sooner or later I will feel the shock of recognition at finding images of someone I know.

Well, today it almost happened, but it was not quite what I would have anticipated. What I recognized was not a "who" but a "where" - I have been four-wheeling up the very waterfall depicted in this pastoral image of female nudity; it depicts (aside from the strangely unattractive unknown naked chick) a waterfall on the inappropriately named Dry River in the George Washington National Forest, west of Harrisonburg, VA, near Harrisonburg Reservoir.

I know this waterfall very well - the rock step is just the right height that the shackles on the underside of my truck's front bumper make a bone-jarring clang when they hit it. I have surmounted this particular obstacle maybe three or four times; the last time I did it I popped the right front tire off the rim, lost all the air pressure in it and had to try and change the wheel in the middle of the stream, after I'd winched the truck up the waterfall. I did not succeed in changing the wheel as the lug nuts were a bit too tight to be loosened by hand so I consider myself very lucky indeed that I was able to reseat and reinflate the tire sufficiently with the truck's onboard compressor. Huzzah!

No comments: