Tuesday, June 10, 2003

My childhood can best be defined by listing the things I did not have. I did not have any toy guns. I did not have any toy weapons, period. I did not have video games or a video game console, although I consoled (good pun, I think) myself by abusing Ataris and Nintendos at my friend's houses. I did not have a computer, although there were a few years in which I busied myself with a TI-99/4A. And, I continued my practice of abusing things that belonged to my friends, although I did much less "damage" playing Zork on an Apple IIE and dialing up BBSes on an old Wintel clone than when playing Pitfall or Contra.

So, in the cruel world of childhood politics, in which the winners are those with the best toys, why would anyone be my friend? It helped that I had the foulest mouth on the block. But, it also helped that I had the coolest Star Wars toy ever made...the "full-size" Millenium Falcon. You could seat Chewie and Han in the cockpit and stuff Luke and the ambiguously gay robot duo in the back. Over time, Star Wars figurines were not enough to entertain me and the Falcon. Many a GI Joe got to ride on the Millenium Falcon before facing an inevitable firecracker death in my neighbor's yard.

Why all the reminiscing? My memories were sparked by this awesome casemod. I have neither the time, the patience, nor the understanding wife to do something like this, but at least I can enjoy reading about it.

No comments: