Wednesday, May 14, 2003

I'm sure it's not 'cool' to admit it, but I have followed Amazon's product recommendations on music several times ("People who bought this bauble you just looked at also purchased the following gewgaws ...") and the results have usually (though not always) been rewarding.

As a result, I have travelled from Tortoise and Hooverphonic to Blue States and Boards of Canada and beyond.

So, as I have taken this journey into the ambient/trip-hop/IDM/illbient "post-rock" netherworld, I have noticed something: the names of the bands, the albums and the songs all have a curious sameness about them in their infinite abstract "weirdness" and variety. Consider this selection of track names from the Tortoise album TNT:

  • I Set My Face to the Hillside
    A Simple Way to Go Faster Than Light That Does Not Work
    In Sarah, Mencken, Christ, and Beethoven There Were Women and Men
    Almost Always Is Nearly Enough

  • or these album names:

  • Born into Trouble as the Sparks Fly Upward
    He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corners of Our Rooms
    Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada
    Music Has the Right to Children
    Goodbye Enemy Airship The Landlord Is Dead
    Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven

  • or these band names:

  • Godspeed You Black Emperor!
    The Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-la-la Band
    Do Make Say Think
    Explosions in the Sky


  • Don't get me wrong, I love this stuff. But, jeez, could we get some track/album/band names that aren't so, aah, pretentious? That so visibly strive to be "different" and "memorable" that they end up merging into a forgettable sameness?

    Maybe like The ABC Song?

    No comments: