Thursday, January 24, 2002

In a bizarre case of life seemingly imitating "art" (I use the term advisedly), when I was reading Shaun's recent post, I got the distinct feeling I'd seen something of this sort before in the form of an urban legend. I checked urbanlegends.com and found a whole section on similar stories (although, to be fair, these variants all involve evisceration), including one specific story that seems almost to contain a direct refutation.

Personally, the SAS story just stretches my incredulity a little too far. I don't believe it. The same questions keep coming back to me - how did this woman flush the toilet in the first place (given that the flush handle is not easy to reach when seated, presumably for good reason), and how did she manage to block the opening so throughly that she got sucked in far enough to get stuck? I think she's faking. I think the only reason this didn't go the whole hog and become an evisceration story is that faking evisceration would have required just a little too much dedication.

No comments: